Saturday, December 17, 2005

Maroubra Google News Australia Updates

Maroubra Google News Australia Updates

Click here for Google News Australia updates

Friday, December 09, 2005

Koby Abberton convicted - Sydney Morning Herald - 24th November 2005

Professional surfer Koby Abberton has been found guilty of perverting the course of justice during a police investigation of a shooting death.

Abberton had pleaded not guilty during his NSW District Court trial of one count of perverting the course of justice in relation to a police investigation into the killing of standover man Anthony Hines.

Earlier this year, a NSW Supreme Court jury found his older brother, Jai Abberton, not guilty of murdering Hines at Maroubra, in Sydney's east, on August 5, 2003.

NSW District Court Acting Judge Brian Boulten, who presided over the trial without a jury, today found Abberton guilty of perverting the course of justice.

He said Abberton had made false assertions to police during an interview in September 2003 about the shooting.

"These answers were manifestly false and were intended to deflect police in their case against his brother and a possible bringing of a case against himself," the judge said.

Abberton's bail was continued on the condition that he surrender his passport.

He will be sentenced early next year.

AAP